Skip to main content

About this Show

The O Reilly Factor

News/Business. (2013) New. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Clinton 14, Steve Kroft 10, Washington 7, Barack Obama 6, Kroft 5, Libya 4, Rubio 4, America 4, Obama 4, Juan 3, Karl Rove 3, Juan Williams 3, Mike Wallace 3, Greta 3, Mary Katharine 3, Croft 3, Charleston 2, California 2, Los Angeles 2, South Carolina 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The O Reilly Factor    News/Business.   
   (2013) New. (CC)  

    January 28, 2013
    5:00 - 6:00pm PST  

5:00pm
less than a week to go to the super bowl. but a petition to turn date after the ghim a national holiday is still woefully short of names and it's your fault. on "studio b's" friday we spoke to the creator. as it stands now more than 8,000 of you have signed on to the online petition. if it hits 100,000 by the 23rd of february, the white house will respond. so there is still a ways to go. you need to sign this thing. go to petitions dot white whitehouse.gov and search super bowl. ened on this day in the year 1958. a company in denmark first patented the iconic toy building blocks we all know as lego. the toys have actually been around since the 19330s and nearly identical to a british toy called kitty craft. multicolored plastic brings that click together to build pretty much anything. buildings, vehicles, you know. over the years the company introduced dozens of enough pieces including those famous yellow heads and lego has since even expanded into video
5:01pm
games to. this day the pieces from 1958 still work with the bricks made today. and they still hurt when you step on them. a toy maker's idea first clicked 55 years ago today. if only life were as simple as legos. now you know the news for this monday, january 28th, 2013. thank you. o'reilly factor is on. tonight. >> i'm really proud of where we are. >> i think she has been a capable of hard working secretary of state but i think the case for her being a great secretary of state is exceedingly weak. >> bill: what is the truth about hillary clinton's clinton tenure as secretary of state. why did 60 minutes conduct such a soft interview with president obama and secretary clinton last night? we will answer those questions this evening. >> we are losing dramatically the hispanic vote which we think should be ours. >> will republicans support a new immigration ghal is favorable to illegal aliens?
5:02pm
we'll discuss it with carl rove, juan williams and mary catherine ham. [shouting] >> give me those. >> bill: a new move to shame americans who are overweight. they say the shaming is health-driven. but is it really? >> cannon ball. >> caution, you where to enter the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. >> bill: hi, i'm bill o'reilly, thanks for watching us tonight. barack obama and hillary clinton friends forever. that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. disappointing interview on 60 minutes last night. i didn't learn very much. in fact, i didn't learn anything. the theme seemed to be the world is a dangerous and
5:03pm
complicated place. >> we also live in a dangerous world. and, you know, the people i'm proud to serve and work with in our diplomatic and development personnel ranks, they know it's a dangerous and risky world. >> it is a dangerous world and that's part of the reason why we have to continue to get better. >> we live not only in a dangerous but an incredibly complicated world right now with many different forces at work. >> bill: summing up, we live in a world that is incredibly complicated and dangerous. good to know. now, i respect "60 minutes" and steve kroft the interviewer. i don't know why he didn't ask hard questions. if you know, please tell me. you don't have to be disrespectful. all you have to say is, hey, mr. president, why did yourselves, who is sitting right next to you, not go on the sunday shows to explain what happened in benghazi
5:04pm
libya? why did you send the u.n. ambassador to do that when susan rice obviously didn't know anything about it? that's respectful question. is it not? >> here is another one. mrs. clinton, when did you learn about the assassination of libyan ambassador christopher stephens and why didn't you hold a press conference when the intelligence community told you it was a terrorist attack? not a complicated question. is it? just those two questions could have enlightened the american public about the libyan disaster. but you know what? i don't think steve kroft even cares about libya. and most other national media don't care either. so the bottom line is we the people are not going to be told what happened over there. president and secretary clinton are not going to it answer any questions about it. are not going to be forth coming. and we can't make them. it's partially our fault because we the people don't much care either. if we did care, it would have been a big campaign issue.
5:05pm
but it wasn't. mitt romney wouldn't even concentrate on it during the foreign policy debate. the truth is the assassination of the ambassador and three other americans by terrorists in libya has not engaged in the american people. president hillary clinton know that they also know that the national media adores them. and that's a fact. that's the memo. now for the top story tonight, there is no question 60 mince interviews would a big win for president obama and secretary clinton. they got great pr out of it. joining us from washington is senior political analyst brit hume. yesterday i you told chris wallace that you think hillary clinton should not be described as that great secretary of state. why? >> well, first of all, it's no, not easy to be a great secretary of state. foreign policy is a province really of the president. the secretary of state is the person who is his emissary and he is expected to direct the diplomats to carry it out. so that's point one. point 2 is, that she has worked very hard.
5:06pm
she has traveled all over the place. set some record, some 112 countries. the list of achievements that can be attributed to her is not long and is not major. i mean, how well is the reset with russia worked out which she was very much involved in starting? how are things between arabs and israelis? closer to peace than before? how about iran? north carolina? their nuclear weapons programs. have they been retarded, held back, halted? no, i don't think so. so you look around for a clinton doctrine, has she articulated as kind of a foreign policy intellectual, a new way of thinking, a comprehensive doctrine for foreign policy or doctrine for any particular reason? i would say not. what about major treaties? has she engaged in negotiations that led to the signing of major treaties or any major treaty? the answer to all of those questions appears to be no. these are the kind of things that might put you in the category of a great secretary of state. i'm not saying she hasn't tried hard. she has certainly worked hard.
5:07pm
she has behaved with dignity and certain grace. no big blunders blurting out the wrongening in the wrong place. she does her homework but great? i don't think great. >> bill: you left out the arab spring which is developing into a debacle. syria another debacle. why didn't steve croft ask those questions secretary of state and president clinton right there could have done a laundry list of hey, look at this, look at that afghanistan not really going our way now but he didn't ask any of that. >>, he didn't be and i have been trying to put myself in his position, i have done some interviews with presidents over the years. i remember particularly doing one with presidents bush 41 and 43 together. and there was a novelty factor about seeing them there together like that which led me to focus to some extent on their relationship and what role the first president bush had played as an advisor to his son and so forth. there was novelty to this
5:08pm
interview. unusual. kroft remarked upon that the whole interview seemed devoted to their relationship. guess what? they have, according to them, a great relationship. >> bill: why is that news worthy? >> i'm not saying it is. i'm saying it's one thing to devote part of an interview to that. it's another to kind of basically turn the whole interview to one or two questions. >> bill: both of us know croft. croft is good, right? he he is good. do you think is he good or -- >> -- i think, no i think steve kroft. i has always admired steve kroft. i will say this if you look back through the history of the interviews he has landed with barack obama. >> he has never been tough on obama. >> never been tough on obama. >> bill: we called the obama people and they still take our calls and they said we didn't put any restrictions on kroft. he could have asked anything. we said he had 30 minutes. he could have asked anything. we didn't tell him don't talk about libya or the arab spring. could have talked about anything. i don't know why.
5:09pm
maybe i will run it to steve some place in manhattan and ask him. it was a soft interview. we didn't really learn anything other than the world is a complingted and dangerous place. did you know that before, human? did you know the war was a complicated and dangerous place? >> yeah. i kind of thought that. >> so we knew all of that. we learned it again which might have been instructive. we got nothing out of that and then, you had hillary clinton standing there. believe me. i think greta has got him. maybe greta -- i don't know. >> brit: greta has her. she is in a tough situation. she only has 12 minutes. >> bill: give me 12 minutes with her hume. i will take 12 minutes with the secretary. do you know what i'm talking about? we have colin powell here tomorrow night. wait until you see, this hume. >> i look forward to it. >> bill: it's a matter of budgeting your time. as your mom told you you have to budget. you can't be from it terring it away with questions like oh, are you guys mad of each other or what? >> who cares?
5:10pm
[ laughter ] hume, do you want to take the last word? or you have had enough of me. >> i would say it's always a little difficult to do an interview with the president in that this sense courtesy that other officials including former secretaries of state for example but even. >> bill: i will get new a moment. >> even with all of that it was a pretty soft interview no way around it. he he is in good company. there have been a the love interviews with this president. >> bill: why is the american press so infatuated with barack obama and hillary clinton? we will try to find that out. later big immigration debated will republicans spearhead reform to try to get on the right side of hispanic voters. we're coming right back.
5:11pm
5:12pm
5:13pm
>> bill: joining us from washington sally quinn. editor of "the washington
5:14pm
post" on faith section. judith miller fox news analyst. i understand you just talked to steve kroft, correct? >> i did. >> bill: he said? >> he said the only constraint on that interview, there were no conditions, even though the white house approached him, the only limitation was one of time he said he knew he only had 30 minutes. he could concentrate either on relationship between former rivals and now partners and now admirers on each other or he could concentrate on foreign policy. she had just testified on the hill. spent hours testifying. he didn't think he was going to be able to advance that story so he chose to concentrate on the relationship. >> bill: do you think that was wise decision in hindsight after looking at the interview. >> i'm not interested in their relationship. >> did you know the world was a dangerous place. >> i kind of suspected it was. >> bill: how about you? did you know how dangerous and complicated the world is? >> well, that's not what i came away with. i came away with the question
5:15pm
why would he want to do this? and why would he want to do it with hillary? and i think probably part of the reason is that the worst kept secret in washington is that hillary clinton and the state department does not make policy. tom donilin, the national security advisor and his team make the policy. and that hillary literally for four years has gone out around the world, being the face of the united states and representing the president, but it has been. >> bill: pr person you are saying? >> yes, yes. it's been a very frustrating role for her because she is mart and she has a lot of good ideas. >> bill: she was a good soldier and this was the way reto reward her? >> i think that's one reason. i think partly because they wanted to reward her for doing. this partly it was a thank you to bill clinton who really worked hard for the president. >> ms. quinn, that is good inside stuff, and that may
5:16pm
well be the president's motivation for him doing it. but steve kroft could have zeroed in on hillary clinton and said what brit hume just said or what i have been saying about benghazi, libya and saying, you know, hey. >> you are not going to learn anything. >> >> bill: believe me, you don't have to learn if you ask the right question and they dodge the question, all right, and the congress people didn't ask the right questions. very simple as i said in talking points memo, ms. quinn, why didn't you go on the sunday shows? what was preventing you from doing that you her in charge, is he your guy. why weren't you out there? come on, i'm a simple man, you know that better than anyone, simple question, answer it. [ laughter ] am i right or wrong here? what? >> i figure very complicated and dangerous man. >> okay. >> very dangerous. >> i'm sure hillary would agree with that i'm complicated and dangerous as well. if you ask the question and she doesn't answer it. you got your answer. she is not going to engage. >> but she did --
5:17pm
>> bill: let's let judy. >> so far so many of the republicans, bill, have been grandstanding. >> bill: they are a bunch of pinheads, we know that but kroft has his big forum for 30 minutes. >> he he just didn't tf them thd the two of them getting to speak that he was going to be able to get an answer out of it. >> bill: are you kidding me? you tried. wouldn't you have tried? you have been a journalist for, what, decades, right? >> i would have tried but so has he. he had to make a judgment call about what his audience wanted to hear. >> all right. i bet you most americans really wanted substance rather than -- rather than the jimmy kimmel show. do you know what i'm talking about, sally? do you know who jimmie is are you guys still mad? hey, hey. come on. we have got a dead ambassador over there. we don't know what the hell happened. >> i totally agree with judy. i mean, and i think steve kroft did exact will the right thing. i thought it was 30 minutes of
5:18pm
fascinating television to watch the two of of them together who we know there has been so much tension. >> bill: go on dancing with the stars then. you know? >> hey, bill. >> this is important stuff. >> bill, it's been reported so many times that obamas have never invited the clintons to the white house. and i tried to check this out. and i got wawld by the state department and the white house. so, what does that mean about their friendship? they talk about being warm and close and friendly and all of that. >> go to washington. i know you -- no one cares. the folks don't care. judith, last word, go. >> but, bill, you also said the american people don't care about benghazi. >> not enough. if they cared, we would be getting some answers. >> bill: romney had a big chance too and he didn't take it. >> absolutely. >> bill: all right, ladies, very fascinating. directly ahead will the republicans supreme court immigration reform that will be favorable to illegal aliens? chubby americans. some people actually want to
5:19pm
shame them. have a controversial report on that upcoming.
5:20pm
5:21pm
5:22pm
straight talk. look at the last election. we are losing dramatically the hispanic vote, which we think should be ours for a variety of reasons. and we have got to understand that. >> joining us now from washington, mary katharine ham and juan williams. both fox news analyst. juan, i know you want immigration reform. >> i do. what about the 37% of immigrant families and for illegal immigrants the number
5:23pm
is 47%. that are some kind of means tested welfare? should that be part of the legislation? because what i'm getting at here is i understand the political strategy. i think everybody does. g.o.p. needs to get more hispanic votes. but if you legalize everybody that's here, and they get more on the welfare entitlement train. which they are now. i don't know if that's good for the nation juan. >> you know, look, i agree with you about welfare and fraud. i mean, seems to me we have an issue with fraud of any kind. we need to eliminate it let me just say i think you are framing this question completely wrong, bill. i think that in fact, immigrants generate economic activity. they hype g.d.p. he hype consumer spending. immigrants create jobs i think like 18% of small american business owners are immigrant. when you get to about 16% of the population is immigrant. about a third of our edge fleers, of our scientists our
5:24pm
doctors. >> bill: that's all correct. immigrants drive achievement in america and always have. i don't think any sane people disagree with that you are overlooking this enormous and it is enormous. 47% of illegal immigrants receive means tested taxed one out oof two. >> they are tough eligibility requirements. >> one out of two, juan. that's the stat. >> let me just say, in addition to which, immigrants pay taxes and oftentimes are not eligible. >> bill: juan, it's one out of two. you see what you are adding here? all right. mary katharine, how do you see it? >> well, i think you could hard that in this case if those immigrants who are illegal and on welfare got the became legal or had some sort of legal status that perhaps they would be paid higher wages and that was a problem that would maybe work on itself. as far as the political situation goes here.
5:25pm
i don't think this is a magic pill for republicans and i don't think a lot of them are fooling themselves into thinking that i think it is a platform from which you could have this discussion. as far as obama manhattanning to pass it i'm a little curious about that for four years he didn't raise a finger on this. in 2007 he actually helped tornado tore torpedo that -- >> doesn't have to run again. 66% of americans, two thirds, all right? support a pathway to citizenship. >> yes. >> 66%. 17% say send the illegals back home. 13% want to aguest worker program for them. so any president. any sitting president. particularly a liberal guy is going to say all right, i'm going to get on this train and i'm going to drive the train and then john mccain is saying -- >> -- john mccain is no liberal. >> bill: no, but he is doing it for political reasons, juan. i don't know if he is doing it for the good much the country. >> wait a minute. hold on. stop this train.
5:26pm
don't forget that this was blocked under president bush, president bush a republican. >> president obama voted for a the poison pill. >> just a second. it was blocked by the far right. >> and the far left and unions and barack obama. >> absolutely demonized every immigrant as some kind of threat to america. >> the attack came from both flanks. and the attack also come from both flanks again. >> bill: let me be the source of light here instead of heat for once. it's a different time then, juan. we had very big border security problems then. and now the border security is a lot better. so the debate in the story can progress. i think we need immigration reform. but i do think that they have to deal with the welfare situation. because if you are going to add another 6 million people, and, believe me, when welfare gets -- when welfare, when immigration reform gets passed, that means the people in the other countries are going to be able to come here. you have a flood of new
5:27pm
immigrants into the united states. not just the 12 million that are here, but probably another 12 to 15 that will join them. you have got to deal with this problem. i don't think either party will do it but that's where i'm coming from. >> i think your conservative friends are going to make sure that, in fact, people who overstay their visas, which is is about 40% of the illegal population right now, that that stops. they are going to have really tough exit requirements to make sure those people leave. >> i hope so. >> get 12 million more. go ahead. >> i think the fact that rubio and jeff flake and some and mccain are at the top of this and sort of pushing it forward, in fact, before the president is, with a fairly detailed set of principles is a sign that perhaps you can get parts of the right on board. you do have to worry about parts of the left defecting including labor unions who voted against in 2007. but, let me say there is. >> bill: i have got to go here.
5:28pm
[talking at the same time] >> there is reason for concern. >> bill: you guys can continue on your own. all right. we will watch the commercial and then there is is plenty more ahead as the factor moves along this evening. karl rove will weigh in on the deal and the "60 minutes" interview tonight. adam carolla on shaming overweight people and carolla's experience on "dancing with the stars." there he is whoa. i hope you stay tuned for those reports.
5:29pm
5:30pm
5:31pm
5:32pm
>> bill: liberal man, forced behind the global warming movement. well, mr. turner has a son. 49-year-old teddy turner who is running for congress in south carolina. >> a graduate of the sit del. husband and father of three, today turner is an economics teacher in charleston. turner will fight for more freedom and less government. so our families will have a secure tomorrow. conservative teddy turner for congress. >> bill: what! conservative teddy turner? he joins us now from charleston. are you kidding me? how did you get to be a conservative with such a liberal father? >> my dad asks me that all the time, bill, i tell you four years of military college at the sit del and two years in the soviet union, if that doesn't make you a conservative nothing will. and watching a little bit of fox nothing will, either. when you were raised your
5:33pm
father ted turner, he wasn't as liberal as he is now, i understand. correct? >> no, my dad was pretty tough. he did 8 years of military school. he was in the coast guard. we had -- there was no sleeping in on the weekends. we did white glove inspections. dad was tough. he made us work hard. learn the value of a dollar, all the things that our dads should be doing today. >> >> bill: did he discuss politics with you when you were growing up? >> oh, absolutely. our dinner conversations were pretty incredible. i mean, he was involved with all indz of things. and he never -- we didn't get much into the baseball and little league and that and i could've stuff. we were always talking about pretty heavy issues. >> was he then a liberal man? was he -- you know, did he support the liberal side when you were a kid? >> no. he didn't. he mid -- met my mother at a young republican's convention. he was very -- he was a small business guy and before he
5:34pm
became a big business guy. but he was very conservative. this change in life has been later on, mainly started within environmentalism. >> now you talk to him, i would assume, you are running for congress. we he vote for you if he lived in your south carolina district? would he vote for you because you are billing yourself as a conservative small government guy, we vote for you? >> well, i'm not billing myself as conservative. i'm extremely conservative. but i think he would. i spent a lot of time with him in the last couple of weeks and talking about issues. everything we discussed he agreed with me. we are not that far and it wasn't because he was agrees talking i'm his son-in-law. he is agreeing because it's common sense. is he liberal in certain issues. but really he wants a better world like most of us. but, we don't agree on a lot of politics. >> all right. so, you guys are, when you talk, man-to-man, you don't have a big fischer.
5:35pm
but i'm sure he voted for barack obama. you are not going to vote for barack obama. now, the global warming is his big deal, the environmental stuff. dodo you believe in global warming? do you think it's been caused by carbons and we are the responsibility for this? >> well, when he drives the prius to the challenger, you know, you have got to question a little bit. but, you know, what i believe in is air and clean water and a future for our kids. i don't believe that my ford f-250 is causing global warming. i might get a lot of flack for that but, you know, we can't tax ourselves by going in with things like the deoat that protocol and that kind of stuff. so no, i'm not a believer but i want to make sure that we're still doing the right thing going forward. i just don't like scaring kids and telling them we are cook pg ourself. >> you want clean water and clean air but you are not buying into the fact that the human population has depleted the ozone and that's why it's getting warmer. you said something very
5:36pm
interesting there you said your father drives the prius to the challenger. which is a private jet. do you want to expound on that a little bit? >> well, you know, his take is, he owns a lot of trees so his carbon footprint is pretty minimal. >> bill: that sounds like a rationalization to me. [ laughter ] >> well, it may be that it's like catholic indulgences are well in mitigation. we can say a lot of the things. when it comes right down to it, we need to have clean air and clean water but we can't restrict our business because that's the only way we are going to get out of this deficit mess. >> bill: all right. your father helping you finance your campaign? >> well, is he has written me te $2,500 check like a lot of people have and i think that's all i'm going to get. >> bill: very interesting story and we appreciate you coming on tonight. when we come right back, karl rove on immigration and 60 mince interview with president obama and secretary clinton. rove is next.
5:37pm
5:38pm
5:39pm
5:40pm
>> bill: thanks for staying with us. i'm bill o'reilly in the impact segment tonight. as we discussed at the top of the program, immigration reform coming up quickly. will republicans support it? and the 60 minutes interview last night with the president and the secretary of state joining us from austin, texas, fox news analyst karl rove. let's take immigration first. what is your advice to
5:41pm
republicans on that? >> well, i think marco rubio laid out an excellent set of principles that looks like many of them, most of them have been embodied in this bipartisan 8-member senate panel republicans ought to give it a we clear strong look as you saw from your interview with marco unionio recently it emphasizes strong border security. a guest worker program and a fair but tough resolution of the issue of the people here already illegally. >> bill: generally speaking, i had no beef with senator rubio's plan and i hope they get something together. they are aren't as i addressed with juan williams and mary katharine ham. really coming to gripsz with one of the severe problems. you are going to have a lot of new americans here. you are going to have 12 million here and they are going to bring in another 12 to 15. we are talking 20 to 25 million. basically invested in this country. half of the illegal aliens now as i said, receiving means
5:42pm
entitlement. how are they going to deal with this? >> well, first of all, we're not bringing in 12 and then bringing in another 12. as marco explained to you and as the panel apparently has endorsed today, the concept is if you are here illegally you can surface, can you get a card that allows you to stay in the country and work. but if you want citizenship, you have to go to the back of the line, which means that you won't get your green card for. >> bill: won't stop people from coming here to visit their mom and dad and all of that? >> that's right. that's right. but, the other part of it is you cannot get citizenship for between 12 to 15 years and then and only then can you use this principle of family reunification to try to bring people in. you will notice, also, rubio talked about and the panel today talked about mitigating that issue by putting greater emphasis on allowing people to come here because they have skills, not just because of family. the devil is in the details.
5:43pm
that's right. they have to address the welfare thing somehow. >> that was the other interesting thing. rubio talked about and it looks like tentatively this panel has embraced the idea if a if you are one of the people here ill ely and you surface, you can continue to work but you do not get access to government benefits like obama care. >> bill: that would be interesting. >> how many benefits are denied you? because if you say okay we will allow your kid to get a free lunch if you are poor but we are not going to let you go on welfare or this, or this or this or that i think it might expand the amount of people support immigration reform and the magnet of drawing people here for the benefits. >> bill: crux of the matter with liberals saying look how mean they are to the poor and hispanic. look how mean mean mean mean. you know that's going to happen. bobby jindal governor of louisiana. roll the tape. >> we have got to stop being the stupid party. i'm serious. it's time for a new republican
5:44pm
party that talks like adults. time for us to articulate our plans and visions for america in real terms. it's no secret we had a number of republicans that damaged the brains this year with offensive and bizarre comments. i'm here to say we have had enough of that. >> all right, we have got to stop being the stupid party and you say? >> i think he is right. he was talking about todd aiken of missouri and richard murdock of indiana and their terrible comments on abortion. i think he is right. this formulation actually has been offered before by daniel patrick moynahan who wrote a famous essay in the 1970s talking about the democratic party being the stupid party and the republican party gaining asen desi. jindal understands that and paul ryan and marco rubio and mitch daniels and scott walker all of whom have been emphasizing the same theme in recent weeks. they are on target. the republican party can't be in mindless opposition to barack obama. it has to offer a visitation future that is attractive and compelling to americans to associate with.
5:45pm
>> bill: that means i think what you are saying is have to come to the center a little bit more. not on the far right. >> no, what -- look, it needs to be smart. which means it doesn't need to go out and say stupid things like todd akin did. throwing away a senate seat that we should have otherwise h look, it says explain what you are for. and be for something. we are a growth and opportunity party. we believe in limited government. and cutting the deficit and restraining spending because we know that that thereby increases the opportunity to spread prosperity more broadly and for everybody who wants to work hard and set a dream and set a course to achieve their dream. we need to talk about what it is that we want to do for america, not simply what we want to stop president obama from doing. >> bill: you watched the 60 mince thing last night? >> yes. i read -- i saw the tape of it and then i read carefully the transcript. and i mean, talk about powder puff journalism. that was it. >> what would you have done had you been steve kroft? well, i would have had some tough questions. or i would have -- look, most
5:46pm
of this was just sort of, you know, do you like each other? how long is that endorsement going to last? at least he should have picked up on some of the things that both secretary clinton and president obama said that would have been interesting. for example, president obama said at one point when he he was puffing up about his leadership he said when it comes to egypt, had it not been for the leadership we showed, you might have seen a different outcome there. well, steve kroft should have said well, mr. president, what we got because of your leadership is a government led by the muslim brotherhood. is what your leadership -- is that the best outcome that we could expect there? but instead he let comment like that go by. maybe the irony was lost on him. kroft can be if he wants to be a tough interrogator was on, you know, high school, you know, puff journalism last night. >> bill: i don't know if it was high school. kroft is a professional but he clearly made a decision and so did the 60 mince brass which i think is the best in the business. they made a decision to do a
5:47pm
soft, kind of dating game kind of thing rather than. >> look, they didn't need to be a mike wallace doing that the late mike wallace. >> i couldn't imagine chris wallace doing it. this was a very interesting moment. he didn't make the most of it. steve kroft didn't. president obama and secretary clinton made the most of it, which was to sort of congratulate each other and look happy. that's all they needed to do and that's all they had to do. >> i want you to watch the interview that i do with collin powell because it's all about the republican party. it's about you, your guys. that's tomorrow. and then we will have you back and you can discuss that interview. okay? >> you bet. >> bill: all right, mr. rove. on deck mr. carolla and chubby americans. some feel we should scorn them. carolla moments away.
5:48pm
5:49pm
5:50pm
5:51pm
>> bill: back of the book segment tonight. rolling with carolla. lots to talk about. bring in our pal adam from los angeles. carolla, a guy named daniel callahan a bioeth tis wants to put social pressure on chubby americans there is the doctor. he wants to shame them so they will be healthier. you buying it? you say, what? >> >> i say good. that's all we have. that's all we have ever had is as a society. there is not enough counselors or dietitians or cops. we have to shame. i would like to expand the shaming to welfare moms and deadbeat dads and people who think it's a good idea to fly and flip flops. i want shaming. it keeps society in order. >> bill: but, let's take it one by one. i think deadbeat dads absolutely. that -- their pictures should be put in the paper, all right? all right?
5:52pm
mothers who who are irresponsible maybe a little bit different. but i get your point. but an american who is overweight could have a health issue, all right? there is a lot of heredity involved with that. all of that. and it's a personal choice basically to look the way you want. expects exercising, pardon the fun, freedom not to exercise or whatever it may be. should they be scorned for that? >> well, listen, i think they are going to get beat up by society no matter what. i mean, prom season is not great when you're fat. and dating is tough. and even job interviews. i mean, they definitely, society gets its pound of flesh out of these people, in this case it's pound of blubber. so life is not good. eventually when there is more of them than there are of us. they will literally crush us. this way, if you think about
5:53pm
it. >> bill: no. i'm not buying it carolla. they are not going to crush us. >> all right. they are going to take over othe world with their enormity. >> bill: twilight zone episode where the people owho don't look so good are running the show and the pretty people. >> all right. >> bill: i got it. super bowl, are you part of this? are you part of the super bowl mania thing? >> i love football. i always played football. as a matter of fact, when i played pop warner football, they would line everybody up on defense. hold the ball out. and yell don't go until you see the ball move. and then they would yell hut and if one guy went forward. we all because of higgins staller because he wasn't watching the ball and he was shamed and he did not do it again. >> bill: so finally. >> that shame working in football. >> bill: revenge on a kid named higg enthat youthaller. waiting for this 40 years. >> i like football.
5:54pm
i don't like the super bowl parties because people who don't like football show up, block the tv set and they ask stupid questions like which team is the purple team and all i want to say to you people is i don't go to your tony's party and screw it up for you like which one is ms. saigon? i'm confused. all right now very few people know this. i didn't know it. but that carolla did appear on dancing with stars the television program. recently lindsay lohan lindsay lohan turned down a half million bucks to be on ha show but you did it 7.50? didn't they pay you 8 bucks an hour? what did you get. >> i got whatever minimum wage is in california. i think it was 7.50 at the time. plus meals. >> bill: take a look at him on the program. >> i used to do a little amateur boxing and then i used to teach boxing back in the day. i kind of have the foot work part down.
5:55pm
but a little bit of rhythm. it's my essence. it's my muse. it's my therapy and it's christmas, santa and the easter bunny all rolled up into one i am dance. >> bill: is it true that your partner renounced her american citizenship right after that? is that true? >> yes. she moved with what's his name out of france. >> bill: right. >> the other fat guy. dave purdue. go shamed garrard. >> bill: was that fun "dancing with the stars"? was that worthwhile for you? >> no. no. this is for the five kids that watch this show. it wasn't fun. it was scary. and it was a great experience and the only reason i did it is because it was scary. i have a policy which is if it's scary, it must be a growth experience unless it involves a bear in which case i'm not going to do it. if it sounds scary, do it.
5:56pm
>> i have never seen zorro on a motorcycle but you really made him come alive. factor tip of the day. how to interview president obama should you run into him? the tip 60 seconds away.
5:57pm
>> factor tip of the day in a moment on interviewing president obama. first, action on billoreilly.com. we're giving away copies of the constitution and declaration of independence. and the books remain big best sellers and kids' book, lincoln's last days, a good book for any your chin. killing lincoln in february. and watch 60 minutes can't wait for your talking points about the interview and usually fair to all. trying to be fair so you and
5:58pm
every other american gets a fair story. and from washington, shockingly disappointing interview. rick from la canada, california, mike wallace, and seattle, you and bernie goldberg criticized the media and hillary clinton's testimony before congress and tell that hillary mopped the floor with the questioners and he came away with more resuspect for her lawyerly brilliance. brian do you not see the difference between peter's mocking the senator's with a compliment to hillary? and the national media fawning over mrs. clinton? do you see the difference there? fanny evans, kansas, bill, you recently said that factor viewers are happy. wrong, you've made me miserable doing too good a job telling the truth. i think i was better off when i knew less.
5:59pm
>> no, you weren't. the truth can be painful, but it will protect you in the long run. >> rick, from dubuque, iowa. my wife and i saw on and miller, and very glad, rick. billoreilly.com as the bolder fresher dvd's and we'll see you live in phoenix, los angeles, washington d.c. and wesbury, long island and details on all the shows on billoreilly.com. and from illinois, bill, you write, lou dobbs does have hair like troy donahue, when he was alive. sherry, now might be given. from orlando, i'm on the debate team in high school and thanks for helping me base my argument on fact. your h're welcome, facts go get them. and interview president obama's, and favorite interviewer, he trusts croft and trusts the 60